Sunday, October 2, 2011

How Elmo High Jacked My Work Time

I spend many Sunday Mornings at my Shul during Hebrew School, I find that I get a lot of work done there. But today I did not.

As usual I get to Shul at about 9:30 just as the Hebrew School kids are arriving, but since it is the Sunday between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipur its Sukkah Building Sunday. The parking lot looked like a lumber truck had lost a few pieces of wood in a very orderly fashion. As I make my way to the office where I usually work I pass the chapel, where the men who had come for Sukkah building are in Minyan.

I soon spot two boys I babysit for, Joel and Eli, 3 1/2 and 2, respectively. Eli comes running up to me and gave me a big hug. He then proceeded to show me HIS Kipah (the day before it had been left at home and he refused to wear any other Kipah). Joel and I then pounded it.

I went to the office and set up my laptop and made a human bingo game for the Hanefesh Kick Off(which you are all coming to, RIGHT?). By the time I had finished I figured I would check on the boys, who were now by the Sukkah building with their dad.

I asked Eli and Joel if they wanted to come in with me. Joel was very happy being a go-for for the adults but Eli wanted Airplane(when I pick him up and hold him out like an airplane while running). So I brought him inside like an airplane.

I brought him to the office with me and he was content on my lap while I attempted to get a program from another region to help with a new program we are trying to create for Hanefesh. By the time I finished typing my message Eli is pointing to the computer shouting "ELMO! ELMO!"

So soon I found my self on the Sesame Street website making a custom playlist of Elmo and Big Bird. I just want to add here that I usually object to having little kids watch TV and I this is like the third time I have let someone under the age of 5 watch TV while I was watching them. Eventually Joel comes in and joins our 'Street Fest'. Both seemed completely mezmorized  by Elmo and friends. I have to say the worst part though was that I was singing along (I also happen to spend a lot of time with a boy age 4 who has known the words to Elmo's World since he was one and has kindly taken the time to teach me all the sesame street songs).

Eli Mesmerized by Elmo 



No comments:

Post a Comment